Old May 26th 17, 06:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default The base ("native") ISO of a sensor

On 2017-05-25 18:03, Alfred Molon wrote:
The Olympus E-M1 II has the lowest noise at ISO 64 (at the cost of a bit
less dynamic range) but the highest dynamic range at ISO 200. So what
would be the native or base ISO of the sensor?
How would that be defined?

The "base" would be the ISO where the analog and digital gain are both 1
(0 dB). I've never seen a camera maker publish that. The analog gain
stage is a noise source in itself - even at 0 dB - but unavoidable.

For my cameras (DSLR's) the base appears to be ISO 160 based on various
noise graphs. But frankly anywhere from 100 to 400 appears the same in
normal viewing. 800 and shadow noise is discernible in processing at
100% zoom but invisible in prints or display.

--
"If war is God's way of teaching Americans geography, then
recession is His way of teaching everyone a little economics."