Old September 13th 18, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

Default New Life in my LR CCC & PS CC

On 13/09/2018 03:01, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 12, 2018, Bill W wrote
(in ):

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 17:02:48 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Last week my 2010 iMac choked on its dying HDD, so I treated myself with a
new 27” 5K 4.2GHz i7 iMac with 32GB DDR4. Have been limited to my iPad Pro for
much of the last few days so I was relieved when UPS delivered that new iMac
yesterday.

I'm still up in the air about this for a variety of reasons, but how
much did that cost you?

$3,199 + Cal Sales Tax. I also picked up some cables to make connections to my
old FW800 drives, so my total to Apple was $3,494.95

And you should stuff an SSD in the old one. Sell it, use it as a
backup or server, whatever, but it's still useful.

I wouldn't spend too much - the speed of the SSD will likely be limited
by the interface. Even a basic SSD completely transformed my old 2011
iMac. Not just speed - a quiet computer turned virtually silent.

That is exactly what I intend to do. I have been checking with OWC for the best
way to go about that. Fortunately it is a lot easier to get into the older iMacs
through the front than the new ones with the sealed displays.

And yes, the older iMacs are a lot easier to open up - IIRC the only
non-standard tools are some sucker things to lift the glass. I wouldn't
have even tried on my newer (27" 2015) iMac - paid handsomely for the
pre-installed SSD.

I rate the iMacs highly on pretty much every level, but I do wish they
made them easier to pull apart, and steered away from things like
soldered memory on some models.

--
Cheers, Rob