Old March 12th 09, 10:18 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default Favourite B&W Films.

Michael wrote:
My only experience with efke is with 127, because when I first got my
used yashica 44 there was no 127 available (other than from film for
classics) except the Efke. That was a good film.

Back when the Leica was new, a company called ADOX made a film called
KB-14, which was designed for landscape photography with the new
miniture film cameras. KB is German for movie film and 14 was it's DIN speed
by the 1960's when I first got it.

It had fine grain, long tonal range, and little red response being
a cross between the old othrochromatic and new fangled panchomatic film.

Over the years it's been made by in Germany by the original plant, but
sold under the name ORWO, and later by EFKE (I think in Yugoslavia).

The name has been changed by the current manufacturer to KB-25 as it is
no longer DIN 14, it's ISO 25 (same speed different name). The biggest
difference between it and the original film is that the old film was
mounted on a base that was so thing it could have been used for
cling wrap in a kitchen, and it was slightly gray.

I have not seen the new stuff (donations gladly accepted), but I hear it
has a clear(er) thicker base.

It produced wonderful results developed in Edwal FG-7, but was/is one of
the films that could do ok with Rodinal, if you diluted it enough (1:50?)

Last I had heard, EFKE signed an exclusive distrubution deal in the US
(possibly North America) with Freestyle, which caused some bad blood with
someone who was collecting orders to buy a production run. B&H also sells
it, but they get theirs from Freestyle, not EFKE directly.

So far EFKE seems to be small enough that they can produce an order that
Kodak will not even look at. I think that is the future of film.

Geoff.