Old April 1st 13, 09:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,misc.legal
richard

Default Is it really illegal to snap a picture of a clerk in a Post Office?

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 06:50:46 +0000 (UTC), Danny D. wrote:

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:31:21 -0400 Alan Browne wrote:

I could take photos of the postal clerk and I doubt she would object.

This clerk did NOT object - but - when I called back later to complain
to the manager about them not taking stamps, THEN the manager objected
but I doubted the manager was telling me the truth (on either issue):

I can't tell, from the responses, if the Post Office is a public or
private company which is open to the public, so it really would be
nice to see a rule that says what pictures can be taken, either way.

The USPS was owned by the US government but then a few decades ago it was
privatized.
Like any other private company, they can restrict photo shoots at any time
they so choose.
Is it illegal? Probably not. Those in power, or think they have the power,
like to show off their intelligence and authority by barking out "it's
illegal!". Even when it isn't.

If that happened to me I'd say, "Ok fine. Have your postal inspector arrest
me and charge me. You will then be able to explain to the judge precisely
why I was arrested and charged. What are you gonna do when he dismisses the
case?"