Old October 30th 18, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Capture One 11 Pro: was - Got to admit; when Windows fails, it does so spectacularly.

On Oct 30, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

On 10/30/2018 4:36 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 30, 2018, Neil wrote
(in article ):

On 10/30/2018 1:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Oct 30, 2018, Neil wrote
[...]
As I don't have a Fujifilm camera, apps dedicated to them have little
interest to me, but I don't have a problem with those who find it useful
information, even if it hijacked the topic. ;-)

Since Capture One Pro is also available as a more general program rather
than
their two manufacturer specific versions (Sony, or Fujifilm), any
thoughts.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One.aspx
Well, once again my perspective toward image editing software is tied to
my history of professional image editing since the 1970s. My preferred
software is that which provides good tools, not "push-button" effects,
and as such will not be specific to any camera or presumed workflow.

Just consider that your history of professional image editing is rooted in a
wet darkroom, as was my hobbyist image editing history, and that today the
professional, and the enthusiast hobbyist photographers have moved into the
digital darkroom which entails using appropriate “good tools”, and for
most photographers in those categories that means Adobe CC, or some other
sophisticated software. I do not recall what you are shooting these days,
but
if you are shooting any digital I would have believed that you would be
interested in software such as Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture One, DxO, and
several others, and how they work, along with their ease of use, I am.

Duck, I began working with _digital images_ in the 1970s. My wet
darkroom days go back to the '60s.

Mine started back in the ‘50s in my father’s darkroom. If you started
working on digital images in the 1970s you have me there by a few years.

The first "digital image editors" I
worked with were for video production, like the Quantel Paintbox and
other specialized hardware.

I was/am not a video shooter of any kind.

By the late '70s, I was using custom tools
for personal computers such as for the Apple][ and even designed and
built some.

I got my first Apple, an Apple ][e in 1983.

By the 80s I was using mainly PC-based hardware and software
such as the AT&T Vista, which was 32bit color.

At home for my personal use I have always used Apple computers since that
first Apple ][e. However, at work it was all on PC-based machines.

There were many image editing programs in those days, but I eventually
preferred Aldus PhotoStyler because of its ability to create and save
custom tools. Adobe bought Aldus, and shut down PhotoStyler to sell
Photoshop, which was quite inferior to it. So, I've used Photoshop since
its release and haven't seen anything since version 5 or so that brought
something useful to my table.

Do you mean Photoshop 5.0 (version 5.0), or Photoshop CS5 (version 12.0)?

I work in the format of the output medium (e.g. CMYK for print, RGB for
video), and find it much faster to use curves and other fundamental
tools to do the job to my level of expectations.

You can certainly work that way with Photoshop, as you can with similar Pro
level software.

Savageduck