Old September 21st 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default Do you feel Lucky?

Jens Schinkel wrote:
Hi,
some time ago I got some rolls of SHD100 as 120 and some SHD400 as
135-36.
The SHD100 I used for testing my camera, just because it was quite
cheap - but what I found out: The lack of a anti-halation-dye can give
quite interesting shots.

Yes, I agree, the shots are very interesting. Thanks for posting them.

For example (from the test-roll, so this is not an ideal picture, but
it shows what I mean)
http://www.ascholz.homepage.t-online...tmp/mf2_07.jpg and
http://www.ascholz.homepage.t-online...tmp/mf4_14.jpg
(Developed in Rodinal 1+50 for 12min iirc and quite inoptimal scan...)

The second one (the railway station) looks like it was shot in the 1930's.

For me the Lucky is a quite nice film if I need this effect, otherwise
I would prefer other films...

I like the look of the second one. The effect of the film, the development
and the scan is something that from a technical point of view, we got rid
of long time ago, but from an artistic point of view might be just what we
want or need.

I'm sure if I went around the old city (of Jerusalem) with a camera loaded
with it, not only could I produce some interesting shots, I could sell
them to tourists if I were careful to keep modern cars and signs like
"cell phones sold here" and "Internet cafe" out of them. :-)

Sadly there is afaik no one in Germany (and in Europe?) importing
those films and the Austrian dealer (fotoriegler.at) has sold his last
Lucky SHDs according to a friend.

Oh well, I expect I will have similar luck here too. I wonder if their
color film produces similar results.

Geoff.