Old February 1st 19, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Whisky-dave - something for your Uni?

In article , Commander Kinsey
wrote:

I remember when Mac users told me Macs couldn't get viruses....

You know all Mac users ?
I;ve had viruss on my Mac in the mid and late 80s under systemm 7.
But we no longer use system 7 or 8 or 9 now.
The viruses weren't very harmful either just a little annoying.
And there was a util called disinfectant that got rid of it, and it didn't
need to be run as part of the OS so didn't cause any problems and was free.

You're confirming what I said, Mac users claimed nasty things didn't happen
to Macs.

in general, they don't because macs are significantly more secure by
design.

But we all know why that's true. **** all people have macs so
nobody bothers writing viruses for them!

nope. it's because it's extremely difficult to write mac malware and
even harder to do it well to where it would be effective at scale. a
proof of concept in a lab doesn't matter, except for linkbait
headlines.

I have never been affected by a virus. I just install AVG and forget about
it.

which means you're more at risk thinking that everything will be fine.

anti-malware utilities can only protect against known malware, not
future ones nor zero days, and pretending you're safe means you're
going to get compromised.

and then there's the exploits in the product itself, so there are
actually more potential vectors than there would be otherwise:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-5639/AVG.html