Old April 2nd 18, 06:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ragnusen Ultred

Default Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Am Mon, 2 Apr 2018 06:58:06 -0700, schrieb sms:

When I send signs out to be made I just print the file out to a
high-resolution JPEG in the same ratio of height and width that I want.

I have been using Visio to make signs, which exports directly to a JPEG
in whatever resolution you specify.

There is also PDFcreator which will print to a JPEG from any program
http://download.cnet.com/PDFCreator/3000-18497_4-10558866.html.

I was running into similar problems with fonts from other programs not
transferring, I didn't realize that it was probably due to the person on
the other end using a Mac. I think that they preferred a camera ready
JPEG anyway.

Hi sms,

You know me well so you know I only speak fact.

You bring up a reasonable point that the *fonts* are part of the problem,
where we *SOLVED* this issue quite easily, with help from technically
competent purposefully helpful people.

A JPEG, as you suggest, certainly will "work" just as almost anything will
work (even scribbling the design on the back of a napkin will suffice); so
if a BMP or JPEG or GIF is all that you have, then it's fine.

But we found a perfect solution which solves the actual endpoint problems
that we had, which were out of my control, namely:
1. A score of people had to work on the file (without installing fonts!)
2. The shop is on Adobe Illustrator (which can't read embedded fonts!)

We had an additional "psychological" issue with the shop (which is a bunch
of high-school kids), in that they were "pretending" there was a "layout"
effort, when we proved during the course of the thread on the adult
newsgroups that there is none.

Here is an email we recently received from the manager of that shop in
response to my question of why they use Mac Adobe Illustrator:
"The Vinyl Cutter uses a cut extension through Adobe Illustrator,
thus the need to format the art through Illustrator.
We program what is cut through Illustrator.
Your pdf files will work fine. I have to install the fonts
you gave, which is no big deal. Changing the fonts so that
the cut is easy. No new layout work will need to be done."

Given that the two starting points are perfect for the situation:
1. PowerPoint is the *perfect* layout tool for a score of people who don't
want to and don't need to deal with fonts, and,
2. Adobe Illustrator on the Mac is the end point for just as practical a
reason.

The greatest news is that, on the Windows ng, we proved one powerful thing!
*There is almost zero manual layout effort*!

The only manual "layout effort" required is the minute it takes to download
and install the font set into the Mac and then to point to the Roadgeek
2005 Series B font once the PDF is opened in Adobe Illustrator.

That there is zero layout effort is a big deal, because it tells us both
that PowerPoint was the *perfect* input format (since nobody had to install
fonts and everyone had it and everyone knew how to use it), and that the
shop was handing us mush for an explanation, much like nopspam constantly
does.

Once I showed the shop that there was zero manual layout involved, the shop
finally admitted the truth (much like how nospam works).

Until they admitted truth, for them to claim manual layout meant:
a. Either they were incredibly stupid, or,
b. They were being duplicitious.

The reason I know that is the same reason I know that nospam is always that
way, which is that it's a simple fact that zero manual layout is needed if
we hand them the PowerPoint-created PDF.

The *only* manual layout needed is to load the fonts into the system and
point the Adobe Illustrator to that Roadgeek 2005 Series B font. On the
Windows newsgroup, we proved this fact beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Now all the obtuse explanations make complete sense.
They were acting like nospam does.

Aside from the fact they admitted last night they were telling us a fib
(but only when we proved it first), there's another astoundingly huge
takeaway from this process, which is that PowerPoint is the absolutely
*perfect* tool for this job, not only because we have a score of people
editing the same file, but because that file can have the fonts *embedded*
(which is something Adobe Illustrator can't do!).

So, there are two huge takeaways that we learned in this solution.

1. PowerPoint is the *best* format possible for the layout task, and,
2. Adobe Illustrator has almost literally zero manual layout required!

A "gotcha" in that process is that you have to accept that while embedding
fonts in Windows MS Office documents provides a *huge* advantage for us
(luckily, nobody was on the Mac or they would have found that the process
fails miserably on MS Office on the Mac!) - that embedding is *not*
respected by Adobe Illustrator on either Windows or the Mac.

Luckily, the only two people (actually three) who need to know that a
A. The person who created the PowerPoint needed to embed the font set.
B. The shop using Adobe Illustrator needs to install the font set.
C. Any homeowner on the Mac would also be forced to install the font set
(where, luckily, we didn't run into this Mac-only extra problem because the
score of people are all on Windows MS Office).

Thanks for all the adult help to arrive at that simple, and yet powerful
factually supported conclusion, where I thank everyone for being an adult,
and especially Paul for enabling the empirically derived solution by his
diligent and always-purposefully-helpful research and experiments.

Thanks!

None of this is intuitive; it takes someone with technical experience to
answer even these simple question, which, at this point, are all resolved!

A. The shop wasn't telling the truth... (which they admitted last night)...
B. PowerPoint is the absolutely *fantastic* choice for this layout task...
C. A PowerPoint-created PDF is also *perfect* for the final transfer task...
C. Adobe Illustrator requires *zero* manual layout effort reading that PDF....
D. The only manual task is due to the inability of Adobe Illustrator to
understand the embedded fonts in the incoming PDF document.