Old March 30th 05, 04:02 AM
Boat

"jjs" wrote in message
"Boat" wrote in message
"jjs" wrote in message
[...]
Or wishing them to be. I think it odd, though, that you might take
exception
to that. Multi-grade contrast filters and even the Zone System comes, I
think, from precisely that. I wait for different light sometimes not
because
the sky or light now is imperfect, but because the darned thing won't
print
well that way.

So you wait for reality to accomodate the medium? I find that to be an odd
approach.

Very recent HD monitors are claiming 400:1 brightness ratio. That's just a
nudge more than 13 stops. Pretty amazing stuff if true.

Remember, the so-called Zone system is merely a point of departure. I know
of only one photographer who follows it religiously. All the rest dodge,
burn, mask and bleach to make the print show what they want.

Is that artistic interpretation, or struggling to fit it to the medium? Does
it matter?