Old July 2nd 17, 11:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 12:24:55 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

for instance, the retina imac 5k costs about the same as a dell 5k
display, which is just a display, no computer. you have to add the
cost of the computer, which makes it quite a bit more expensive
than the imac.

You aren't making a fair comparison, here.

oh yes i am.

If the Dell 5K is anything like the the two 25" UP2516D screens that I
have just bought there is an awful lot of memory and computing power
inside to deal with multiple color spaces etc. It's not just a bare
display. I have no idea of how the Apple 5K compares in this respect
or how it handles the equivalent problems.

whatever is needed is part of the imac itself.

That's right, so how nay color spaces does it recognise and how are
they calibrated?

as many as you want (within the limits of the panel) and with a
hardware puck.

So within the limits of the panel, how many color spaces does it
recognise and how are they calibrated?

your mistake is assuming dell is a reference of some sort. it's not.

I quote it because I know it and it's general technology is typical of
other screens that use an internal LUT for screen profiling. Further,
as you say, it is made by LG as is the Apple 5k display.

It occured to me that being an integrated computer/monitor the Apple
5k is likely to incorporate a LUT within the computer and not need all
that stuff that separate LUT monitors require to function. But
https://www.damiensymonds.net/cal_i1DP_mac.html implies that it merely
uses the matrix style of ICC profile. This implies it may be simpler
device than the Dell from the point of view of color management. I had
hoped you may have been able to enlighten me.

Eric Stevens