Old October 22nd 05, 05:03 PM
Barry Pearson

Default Physiograms

no_name wrote:
Barry Pearson wrote:

I hesitate to call these art. But I'm not sure where else to post this.

These are called Lissajous patterns after the French physicist Jules
Antoine Lissajous who discovered them. He used sounds of different
frequencies to vibrate a mirror, and reflected a beam of light off it to
trace patterns.

I have a section of the website that talks about Lissajous figures:
http://www.barry.pearson.name/articl...ams/shapes.htm

Normally, the term refers to two linear harmonic motions at right
angles. Some of the photographs are like that. The spreadsheet provided
can draw a whole variety of Lissajous figures.

Others are based on twin-elliptical effects. These are not normally
refered to as Lissajous figures. The spreadsheet can draw those too.

[snip]
Or electronics/physics/engineering forums. They might be interested in
them as art.

Interesting idea! Thanks.

--
Barry Pearson