Old January 1st 05, 10:52 AM
Mxsmanic

Mike Henley writes:

I guess ths is the type of images that were unsuitable for publication.

There are zillions of images like this that are never used by the media.
All disasters produce some pretty horrific images, but only the most
inoffensive among them are usually published. This one apparently was
taken by Darren Whiteside for Reuters in Banda Aceh on December 29
(according to the file information).

For those who'd like to know what the image contains before viewing it,
it's a portrait-oriented color photo of the beach, with innumerable
human cadavers crowded together amongst debris from buildings, floating
in the water. Most are somewhat bloated and blackened by advancing
decomposition (remember, this is 4 days after the tsunami) and floating
face-down in the water. Presumably they mainly drowned or died of
internal injuries after being stuck by debris, as very few of them show
any signs of gross injury externally.

I'm sure this type of image won't make it to most media outlets, but I
think it's very important that photojournalists take such pictures for
information and reference.

From a technical standpoint, the photo is unremarkable; clearly, it's
just intended as documentation.