Old November 9th 04, 10:24 PM
Eric Miller

" Media Storage Choices:
I have decided to go for 2GB (Approx. 220 RAW photos). The choices
are between the IBM/Hitachi 2GB Microdrive, and an equivalent fast CF
card. The Microdrive seems to be better value for money in this
respect. Any recommendations?

You want the fastest card available; right now that's the Sandisk Ultra II
cards. I buy the 1GB models - same price per GB as the 2GB models, but

more
protection against "accidents" (i.e. not keeping all your eggs in one
basket, should something bad happen to a card).

You do not necessarily want the fastest card available. But you should give
the above advice serious consideration. I use a 4gb Hitachi Microdrive in my
10D when on vacation. However, when I am shooting local sporting events like
triathlons, I need speed. If you are shooting landscapes, you don't really
need a superfast write speed. If you are shooting events where you will
actually fill your buffer, then get a fast card [or if you will be shooting
at high elevations where you can't use a Type II card]. I haven't noticed
much difference in READ speeds of the various cards that I use. The write
speed of the microdrive is much slower than than the Type I cards. I assume
the larger file sizes of the 20D will take a little longer to write on any
give card than the 10D.

Another consideration is that microdrives and IS use battery power. I cannot
say how much effect this has, but when I use a microdrive in conjunction
with an IS lens, it seems that the batteries do not last very long. If you
choose the microdrive and the IS lens, you might want to also consider the
battery grip and some extra batteries.

Eric Miller