Old March 7th 05, 12:30 AM
ian lincoln

"Sheldon" wrote in message

"ian lincoln" wrote in message
k...

"Clyde Torres" wrote in message
om...
"Alice" wrote in message ...
http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/Nik...sRebelXT.shtml

I'm not sure this review puts to bed anything. The Nikon/Canon zealots
will read what they want out of it and come up with different
conclusions.

I for one have both a D70 and 20D. They are far superior cameras to the
original Digital Rebel, and from what I can see, the D70 is still
superior to the 350D DRXT. Oh,well, to each her own.

going onto the second page the kit lens for the nikon is far superior.

Canon is no slouch when it comes to lenses. Do you think the inferior
(according to some) lens is to save money and bring the price of the
camera down? Or, does Nikon just have the edge in this genre of lens?
After all, when you buy a "kit," the lens is often as important or more
important than the camera, and will make a huge difference when comparing
images. A crappy lens on a 16 megapixel camera won't compare favorably to
a great lens on a 5 megapixel camera, even if you blow up the prints.

considering the main selling point of the canon is its 8mp sensor putting an
inferior lens on the front seems pointless. On the other hand i have read a
review of the 1ds mkII where they say "due to the incredible resolution of
this camera's sensor it will show up any imperfections in your glass so you
should only be using L lenses but with cameras at this level this should be
a given". This may be an indication that a better lens would be wasted on a
6 or 8mp camera. Unless any imperfections are very pronounced then there
won't be a problem. I have fitted the sigma equivalents to a normal camera
as they aren't ef-s mount, the vignetting is terrible. Basically the
smaller sensor size means you can make a cheap lens that would useless on a
35mm film camera use it on digital because the majority of imperfections are
nearer the edges which are conveniently cropped away. No doubt this is why
dedicated digital lenses are so cheap. Also the canon ef-s lenses go deeper
into the body than standard ones. The smaller the distance you have to
"project" the image in order for it to reach the film the fewer corrections
are needed for aberrations. I imagine this is why the rangefinder is so
good. With no reflex mirror you can have the film plane a hell of a lot
closer to the front. Rangefinder lenses are typcially smaller in diameter,
in fact most compact cameras have very small diameters but can be
surprisingly good.