Old June 16th 18, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

Default Meaning of ISO value in digital photography?

On 2018-06-16 16:58, Ken Hart wrote:

That is the standard way a focal plane shutter works (worked) for
speeds typically over 1/60 second. The first curtain would start to
open, and before it was all the way open the second curtain would
start to close. To use electronic flash, you could not sync at a speed
where the shutter was not totally open. Vertical travel focal plane
shutters usually sync'ed at a faster speed because they had less
distance to travel.

It was around 1/200s by around 1990 or so for a lot of SLR's, my Maxxum
9 went to 1/300 for sync; 7D to 1/250; a900 to 1/250 or 1/300 (don't
recall offhand).

1/60 is quite old as far as sync speeds go ...

My cameras are 1964-69 vintage, so "quite old" is fairly accurate!

The Maxxum 9 was a vertical shutter. The shutter has less distance to
travel vertically (24mm opposed to 36mm for horizontal), so it would
have a faster sync speed. The reviews I found for that camera put it in
the late 1990's.

--
Ken Hart