Old June 8th 18, 12:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

Default End Of An Era:

In article , nospam
wrote:

nothing prevents you from slowing down and thinking with digital.

Prevents? No. Nothing prevents a heroin addict from simply not picking
up the next needle. But, at least for some people, it's very very hard.

My first serious photography "project" was taking photos at the 1963
Worlds Fair; I carried two cameras, so I could shoot B&W and color at
will. Looking around the room, the majority of images I've chosen for
my walls are from my beloved Graphic View II (4X5).

I'm aware my current digital equipment is almost up to the task,
technically. I've tried to slow down and put more care into my digital
images, but have been unsuccessful - it just doesn't seem "real" to me.
You have no consequences for bad images, because there's literally no
investment.

I would put it down to a lack of flexibility in my ancient head, BUT -
I mentor for a local college newspaper. The quality of photography
there has dropped radically since they closed their darkroom and went
all digital. The kids can't even compose properly, let alone work with
lighting, selective focus, or anything else. And when I try to coach
them on improving, they literally don't see the difference. "It's good
enough - who's going to pay that much attention to s picture?"

That's why there's a loaded film camera on my desk right now, and I've
started measuring the spare room for a darkroom.