Old November 1st 18, 05:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Capture One 11 Pro: was - Got to admit; when Windows fails, it does so spectacularly.

In article , Neil
wrote:

Neil is using Photoshop to process images to his taste. He found out
how to use the basic tool to do that years ago and has found no need
to use the more recent bells and whistles. It follows that learning
how to use photoshop to its fullest potential would require Neill
doing things with images that he has no interest in doing.

Neill is using Photoshop to produce images to his taste. He is not
using Photoshop as an end in itself.

First, thanks for your understanding. It's the closest anyone in this
discussion has come to getting why I prefer to work the way I do.

I don't care for such things as shifting menus, reprogramming keyboard
commands, and "push button" effects, and per usual, a few might
understand it from the comments, below.

1) When an updated version of an app is released, an amount of time is
spent learning it to understand the changes. I deduct that time from my
overall productivity at the same rate that I charge for work, and it is
not an insignificant cost.

if the changes improve one's productivity, then the amount of time
spent learning is a worthwhile investment (and it's not exactly long
either). if not, you still learned something new, perhaps useful for
some other task. it's always good to learn new things.

2) Before reprogramming keyboard commands, one has to determine that it
won't interfere with the operation of the updated app.

false.

As above, it is a
cost deducted from my profit. It's usually cheaper to use the "new" key
command structure, which takes time to learn and is therefore more costly.

exactly how much time does it take you to learn a new keyboard command?

it shouldn't be more than a few minutes.

3) My images that I use in business (which are the minority of images in
a publication) are those that don't require a lot of work. Those that
take some complex editing can't be corrected "globally", as is what
happens with plug-ins and push-button effects. I can fix them faster
manually than fiddling about with those "features".

wrong. what you're blindly calling plug-ins and push-button effects can
be global or localized. the point is that some of them could increase
your productivity.

4) These days, most of the images that I receive from others for
publication are quite good, as the professional photographers that
submit them are acclimated to digital photography and have the skills to
create and deliver them to my specs, so I rarely have to do much with them.

that's good, but that raises the question, if you rarely have to do
anything, why do they even bother sending them to you?