Old July 12th 11, 06:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

Default Why no 28-300/18-200 lenses with lower f-stop?

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , Bruce
wrote:

So I have this Tamron 28-300 (which is 18-200 on a FX body, right?
Sorry if I get that backwards) which is a fine enough lens, but it
goes from f3.5 - f6.3. It's not a huge lens by any stretch.

What I am wonder is why such a lens can't be made that is either 2.8
straight through or has an at least lower f-stop throughout (say 2.8
- 4).

It simply isn't possible to make a good, wide aperture 11X zoom lens
at an affordable price. You can thank the laws of physics for that.

that's why they're not wide aperture, but rather f/4-5.6 or so.

11X zoom lenses are best avoided. Period.

nonsense.

For some it may be true. The rest of us will make our choices according
to our own needs. There are plenty of times when the 11X zoom is the best
tool for the job, as you imply.

Cheers,
David