Old September 29th 14, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

Default Tamron macro lens for Sony Alpha

Savageduck wrote in

On 2014-09-28 18:29:25 +0000, Jeff said:

Savageduck wrote in

On 2014-09-28 11:27:21 +0000, banjoboy54

On 2014-09-28 01:43:58 +0000, Don Tuttle said:

I want a Tamron macro lens for my Sony A-65. I see two 90mm
lenses listed on Amazon:

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Konica Minolta
and Sony Digital SLR Cameras (Model 272EM) $499

Tamron AFF004S700 SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha
Camera $799

Does the second lens have advantages/features that justify paying
$300 more? (It does not have image stabilization.)

Thanks.

Don

Check the prices you were given. Here is the new Tamron 90mm SP
f/2.8 Di Macro AF, at B&H for $749.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ron_90Mm_F_2_8
_D i_Macro.h tml

Amazon

isn't always the best place to find the best prices.

If you read the specs for the Sony mount version you will find
that the reason it does not have the VC (vibration control ) of
the Canon & Nikon versions is, Sony has vibration/shake control in
the camera.

Anyway as to differences between the two different lenses other
than price, here you go:
Note; this review was done with the Canon version with VC.
http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/854-tamron_90_28vc_eos_apsc

New version adds vibration compensation which, as you point out, I
don't need with Sony Alpha body. Review says "There are two
major mechanical improvements compared to the old Tamron SP AF 90mm
f/2.8 Di macro - the new lens is weather-sealed and it keeps a
constant physical length throughout its focus range." Of the
weather sealing, another review says, ""Right around the contact
point where you connect the lens to the body of your camera, Tamron
added a rubber ³seal² which helps keeps the internal components
dry. It¹s not what I would call true weather sealing, but it¹s a
nice touch that will make a difference in wet weather." I don't
shoot in wet weather. In its conclusion, the review to which you
directed me says ""Obviously it has been improved in a number of
aspects over its predecessor." Only improvement I see that might be
relevant to me is constant physical length throughout focus range.

Overall, probably not enough improvements in terms of my needs to
justify extra expense. Thanks for help.

Don

Probably the most important new feature for you would be the quiet
high-torque USD AF motor.
...but if that is worth $250-$300 extra is going to be up to you.

That would be for the Nikon/Canon version. Sony uses an in-body focus
motor.

It does??

Unless you mean that Sony uses an old screw type focus motor, as in
the older Nikons, which doesn't make sense.

Usually when the lens specs refer to "Internal Focusing" that means
the internal lens elements in the lens barrel move so that the overall
length of the lens does not change. I fail to see that Tamron is going
to compromise their lens design features for Sony in other than
dropping the VC as it isn't needed in the Sony version.

I've had two Sony Alphas and a Minolta Maxxum film camera. There is a
mechanical coupler in the lens mount to connect the motor in the body to
the lens. My Tamron 18-200 zoom works with it.
Tamron need not change the lens design to make it work. They simply leave
the motor out of the lens and replace it with shaft/gears/etc. to turn
the focusing part of the lens the way a lens-based motor would.

--
IBA #55224