Old September 28th 14, 05:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Tamron macro lens for Sony Alpha

On 2014.09.27, 21:43 , Don Tuttle wrote:
I want a Tamron macro lens for my Sony A-65. I see two 90mm lenses
listed on Amazon:

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP A/M 1:1 Macro Lens for Konica Minolta and
Sony Digital SLR Cameras (Model 272EM) $499

This is a _VERY_ good macro lens. Sharp in macro and very versatile for
portrait. Note that the best results, esp. portrait, will be on a full
frame camera. This is a direct descendant of the near legendary Tamrom
90mm macro. You cannot go wrong with this lens.

Tamron AFF004S700 SP 90MM F/2.8 DI Macro Lens for Sony Alpha Camera $799

Tamron claim better optical heritage v the prior lens. Not clear if
it's stabilized.

Does the second lens have advantages/features that justify paying $300
more? (It does not have image stabilization.)

You should also look into the Minolta 100 f/2.8 macro. Sharper than the
Tamron (2nd one above) at marco but perhaps a hair less suited to
portrait. The Sony version of the original Minolta should be as good
(same overall design, same production line).

Does your A-65 not have stabilization?

--
Among Broad Outlines, conception is far more pleasurable
than “carrying [the children] to fruition.”