Old December 19th 13, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Robert Coe

Default Camera with remote control slot built-in

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 20:41:10 -0500, Michael wrote:
: On 2013-12-12 21:42:14 +0000, leonbc said:
:
: Around 1995 I had a 35mm camera which had a pill-sized remote control
: slot built into the camera body where you store the remote control. It
: easily popped out if you pushed it. The lenses were not detachable, but
: the body shape looked similar to a DSLR as opposed to a compact. I am
: obviously an amateur. Does anyone have any clue what brand/model camera
: I might have had? It was my first camera, I loved it, and it got stolen
: when I was in a market. Thanks.
:
: Back then there were a fair number of so-called "bridge" cameras which
: were better than P&Ss, usually having moderate zooms. They were shaped
: like SLRs. I had one made by Olympus but it didn't have the remote the
: OP is referring to. It actually WAS an SLR as I recall it, though the
: lens was not removable.

Several years ago my wife and I were photographing a parade in our town, when
we happened to run into a woman my wife knew. She had a reputation as a fine
amateur landscape photographer and had won some local awards for her work. I
had seen a couple of her prize-winning photos, and they were indeed pretty
good. She was using a camera that I didn't recognize, so I asked her if it was
a DSLR. She didn't know! In fact it wasn't obvious that she even understood
the question. Here was a photographer who was good enough to win contests, and
she didn't know whether her camera was an SLR or not. I still find it hard to
get my head around that.

I looked the camera up when I got home. It wasn't an SLR.

Bob