Old July 21st 13, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
otter

Default [SI] Outdoor Cooking - The Duck comments

On 2013-07-20 13:35:25 -0700, otter said:

On 7/19/2013 6:55 PM, Savageduck wrote:

Otter:
1: I expected nothing less than one of your local joints, but just
how much actual outdoor cooking do they do there?
2: Now you're cookin' !! Chicken, brisket, sausage, & something
unidentifiable, all looking very tempting.
3: The meat looks good, but Rudy needs to get a better supplier of
bread. That bread looks unappealing.

The cell phone probably didn't do it justice.

I forget the brand, but it is actually pretty good. Plain old white
bread, fresh and tender. Calories with no redeeming features other
than taste.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/rudys-countr...bar-b-q-austin

You can gas up the car there, too.

I haven't eaten "plain old white bread" or as I call it "Killer mush"
for over 40 years now. That stuff is so riddled with preservatives it
will appear "fresh and tender" when it is 3 months old, and it has
questionable nutritional value.

...but if that is what you enjoy, go right ahead.

It's a Texas BBQ thing. All the BBQ places here do the same thing. I
don't eat white bread otherwise, but it is traditional.

Out here at BBQs you are mostly going to find sour-dough bread.

Yeah, I used to live "out there". I do miss good sourdough. There is a
local brand called "Kelly's" in Santa Cruz that is insanely great (at
times).

Two things you will find in California "BBQ" (with warning quotes) that
you won't find in Texas BBQ are sourdough bread and tri-tip.

There is a general store in Boulder Creek, where I used to live, that
made a great grilled tri-tip sandwich. They had a Weber kettle out on
the street emanating smells that would get your stomach talking and lure
you in. Not exactly BBQ, but a good meal.