Old July 31st 05, 02:56 PM
Alan Browne

Pixby wrote:

Sometime amount the era I began to use 35mm cameras, I developed a
framing habit so as not to lose any precious resolution when the
images were enlarged. I unconsciously do it now and almost never crop
an image unless it's to accommodate "perfect portrait" size - the
2/3rds thing.

I double booked this weekend and had to engage a contract
Photographer for the 'other' shoot. I've just been going through his
work ready to start printing and discovered a lot of his shots need
cropping. Nothing wrong with his photography, just the fact he leaves
lots of room in the image.

How many other people make cropping a normal event when editing? Just
curious.

Like you, I'm a "frame filler" and most often use the entire shot in
print. Having said that, I have no reservations about post cropping out
clutter or cropping to enhance presentation. For that matter, cropping
out 10% - 20% in a dimension has little effect on the resolution of an 8
x 12 print.

I shot 1st Communion portraits for a pro last year and he was very
pleased with my framing. He had a pro working for him who usually shot
MF (6x6) and who left enormous room around the 35mm shots for the 1st
communions. He said that the other fellow was so used to 6x6 and fat
framing that he had trouble making tighter framed shots.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.