Old August 9th 04, 09:14 AM
Ian Riches

Default Need help from Canon 300mm f2.8 users/experts

McEowen ) wrote...
OK, I'm in a pickle and I need some information from knowledgable Canon u=

sers.
Here's the deal:
=20

snip tale of odd hood on Canon 300mm lens
=20
Anyway, I called Canon and, sure enough, no hoods are available. But they=

told
me the part number is ET-188 VERSION TWO.

Haven't heard o an ET-188. Might you mean ET-118 ???
=20
So, my question is this: Do any of you Canon experts/shooters/old timers
remember what VERSION ONE of the 300mm f2.8 hood was like. Did they ever =

sell a
hood that just slipped on the end of the lens?

I belive the hood was supplied with the lens from new. If you lost=20
it and had to replace it, the price was in the "ouch" range. A=20
"homemade" effort is thus quite possible.=20
=20
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5842&indexURL=

=3D0&p
hotoDisplayType=3D2#ebayphotohosting

There's a picture of the lens / hood combo here. Doesn't say if its=20
v1 or v2.

http://met.open.ac.uk/group/cpv/PHOTO/EF300_28L.html

Doesn't look quite the same to me as your version. The description=20
on this page ("The enormous all-metal lens hood (ET-118) can be=20
reversed for storage. It attaches with a number of prongs, one of=20
which withdraws via a thumbscrew, to a ring recess near the front of=20
the lens. Don't loose the hood - a replacement can cost as much as=20
=A3225!") also doesn't sound the same.

Ian

--=20
Ian Riches