Old November 9th 04, 09:21 PM
Charles Schuler

"A" wrote in message
Hello group. I am after advise on buying a Canon 20D setup, for a non
professional enthusiast.

Situation:
I am considering upgrading from 35mm to digital because I hate changing
film
at crucial points, and also feel very restricted from experimenting with
film as much as digital. Another thing I hate is that sometimes there is
film in my camera half used, when I want it developed. Also, I am PC
literate and am pretty familiar with Photoshop, so it would make sense to
go
digital. Until now I have fought the need because I didn't think DSLR's
were capable of competing with 35mm SLR's on the functions they provide,
especially lock up, and start-up times.

You are definitely ready to go digital!

So, what do I go for?

Body:
I am considering either a Canon 20D, or Minolta 7D, but the Canon seems to
have more spec. for the price, is available now, and has been tested by
users already. Nikon D70 is cheaper, but accessories are more expensive.
Also, the specs still don't match the 20D. Therefore, I think I will be
going for a 20D if anything.

I have a 300D and it's a great camera. The 20D is a lot better. The
Minolta might be just fine, too.

20D 'Normal' Lens Choices:
I am torn between the 17-55mm lens, and the 17-85 Image Stabiliser lens.
The main reason is NOT because one is a image stabiliser lens, but because
for the greater focal length which will allow for more flexibility in
'normal' use without changing lenses. Any recommendations?

If you can afford the 17-85, go for it.

20D Telephoto Lens Choices:
Again, I am torn between two lenses. The choices are between the 75-300mm
USM, and the 75-300 Image Stabiliser lenses. The thing is, I have never
had
a problem with blur when shooting at 300mm on non image stabiliser lenses
in
the past. But, with a digital 35mm equivalent of 480mm, maybe the Image
Stabiliser lens would be the better choice. Or, would it be better to
just
a tripod and not hand hold? Any recommendations?

I have the IS version and get shots without a tripod that would be
impossible (for me) to get otherwise.

20D Flash Choice:
I am also torn between two choices. The choices are between the 420EX,
and
the 550EX. The 550EX has more manual controls, etc, but is big, heavy,
and
needs a lot of understanding to get the most from it. It also works
better
with 45 point autofocus, but the 20D only has 9 AF points, so it would be
bit wasted. Power wise, the 550EX is only about 1/2 a stop behind the
420EX. (BTW, 580EX is another choice, but is the same as the 550EX,
except
minor alterations to make it more efficient for digital users). Any
recommendations?

The 420EX should be fine unless you need some of the exotic features and the
higher output of the 550EX. Also, you might want to look at the Sigma 500
DG super.

Media Storage Choices:
I have decided to go for 2GB (Approx. 220 RAW photos). The choices are
between the IBM/Hitachi 2GB Microdrive, and an equivalent fast CF card.
The
Microdrive seems to be better value for money in this respect. Any
recommendations?

Personally, I'd never buy a Microdrive. 1GB CF cards give a fair bang for
the buck.

Conclusion:
Bear in mind that money is hard to come by, so I do not want spend it
unnecessarily, as I am not a pro making money from the photos. Also,
another alternative would be to stick with my 35mm setup until prices come
down and DSLR's become better value for money. After all, spending this
amount will not really compensate for the processing and developing costs.
Although will have more benefits.

Only you can decide.