Old October 12th 18, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 12/10/2018 11.24, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 12 October 2018 00:24:10 UTC+1, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 11/10/2018 20.41, nospam wrote:
In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Who really knows what files/folders/etc could be the target
of some code "oops", let alone an actual targeted attack?

that's what backups are for. if there's an oops, simply restore from a
backup. no big deal.

Only if you know that some data files were lost during the update. Why
should they?

the update deleted entire folders, which is very obvious, but
regardless, if a desired file is missing, retrieve from a backup. it's
not a big deal.

and it's not just updates. users **** up and mistakenly delete files.
buggy apps mistakenly delete files, or corrupt them. or, someone wants
to revert to a previous version.

anyone who doesn't have backups has only themselves to blame *when*
(not if) they lose important data, not microsoft, apple, google, etc.

I know people that do not know how to copy files to/from an usb stick.

one need not know how to do that for backups to occur.

Ah? And how will that person do the backup? The backup has to go
somewhere. Or are you doing the backup to same disk?

Well you could back up to a Hard drive or even an SSD if you feel it's worth while or an online service. maybe the USB stick is a bit limiting and I wouldn't advise it for long term backup, we had one here yesterday that went faulty, the actual chip fell/broke off the connector.

/I/ can do that perfectly well, and other things like setting up a NAS
or whatever. They can not do anything. Click backup perhaps, then stump
at "plug in backup media". whatheheckisthat?

--
Cheers, Carlos.