Old October 18th 18, 12:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Default Windows 10 update wipes out files and photos

On 15/10/2018 18.16, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

https://support.apple.com/library/co...m/applecare/im
ages/en
_US/osx/tm_new_drive.png

Thank you for offering an Apple-only solution to the solution of a
problem involving Windows 10.

backups are not a platform specific issue.

The presumed ease of use of Time Machine is.

it's not presumed. it *is* easier.

... and the relevance of this to Windows 10 is ...?

that as good as win10 is, it's still not as easy to use as it could be.

Maybe, but that's what people have, and changing paradigm on their own
is next to impossible. Then you have to warranty that they have someone
close that can demo any thing they need.

For what it is worth, if I were available I would set the machine in
Linux. I have tried it, they handle it as easily as Windows, they don't
notice the change (just click on the Mozilla icon). As long as I
maintain the machine, it is no trouble for them. But I'm not near site.

just because windows lacks something as easy to use as time machine
doesn't mean it does not exist.

If Windows lacks it there in point in you citing it.

that sentence does not make sense as written.

Quite right. I'll try again, If Windows lacks it there is there any
point in you citing it?

yes.

No. It is you diverting course.

In any case, I am quite certain my Apple-only sister would say "What
is Time Machine" and then have to be shown in detail how to use it.

nope. she just needs to connect an external drive and click the 'use as
backup disk' button. it really is that simple.

What makes you think that if she couldn't use a USB memory stick she
could connect an external drive and click the 'use backup' button
(what use back up button?).

this isn't specifically about her, but it really isn't very difficult.
if she can't handle it, someone else in the household can.

This is slightly hilarious. You are now accepting the possibility that
she might not be able to handle a task. At the same time you are
asserting that there *will* be someone else in the house to handle it.

you're assuming again.

Assuming correctly, as a matter of fact.

how did she manage to plug the computer into mains power and set it up?
that is a *lot* more steps than for time machine.

How did she manage to do these things as well as setting up and
connecting to her network connection? I have no idea but can only
presume that someone did it for her.

then that someone can connect a hard drive and click a button for her.

Maybe it took months to get someone to do it for them.
Maybe there was somebody living at the house at that time.
Maybe the shop did that initial setup.

how does she manage to use the computer if she's so inept?
heck, driving a car is more complicated.

Not really. They get trained on it, and there are no changes, no surprises.

--
Cheers, Carlos.