Old June 15th 18, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Meaning of ISO value in digital photography?

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

In a digital camera, presumably the sensor does not adjust itself to have
greater sensitivity. Or does it?

Any given sensor will have a base sensitivety, or ISO. Typically ISO 200, or
ISO 100 depending on manufacturer.

Really?

really.

I've never looked into that, but I would have thought that the
base sensitivity would be closer to the mid-point of the camera's ISO
setting range. But that's just electronics design practice.

actually, it isn't.

I tried to understand this page but it got far too technical....

https://photography.tutsplus.com/art...ical-explorati
on--photo-11963

That article is spelling out the fact that digital ISO is not the equivalent
of analoge ISO.

That article does have a high nerd factor. Generally when an article
emphasizes that we are using log-10 not log-e, you need a couple letters
after your name!

the fact that the article is talking about p-n junctions and reverse
biasing diodes indicates that its intended target audience are
electrical engineers, not ordinary photographers.