Old July 23rd 15, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Memory cards reliable enough?

In article , Mort
wrote:

consider getting a portable storage device to offload the images,
assuming you don't want to bring a laptop.

There is available a small walkman-sized device that runs on AA NiMH
cells. You put the camera's SD card into it,and a blank CD-R , and it
burns the images onto the CD. It is fast and easy.

cds?? seriously??

burning a cd is neither fast nor easy. it's slow, clunky and primitive.

a much better choice is a hard drive based device which can hold
zillions of images. copying is fast and without needing to chop it up
into cd-sized chunks. plus, you don't need to carry a box of blanks
either.

I use SanDisc SD cards, usually 8 GB, and in using hundreds for both
music and images, I have had only one failure.

8 gb = over a dozen cds.

In addition, on a field shoot,or a trip, each night I back up images to
my travel PC's solid state memory. My biggest fear is putting all that
stuff into a basket at the airports' security screening.JFK is infamous
for pairs of crooks stealing stuff from the baskets after being examined
by the TSA.

put that stuff *inside* your carryon.

there's never a reason to use those baskets.