Old July 23rd 15, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default Memory cards reliable enough?

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 04:53:24 -0500, philo wrote:

On 07/11/2015 03:01 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
In the past it used to be so that you could not trust memory cards, so
you would not use too large sizes, to avoid losing all images in case of
a malfunction. But I get the impression that nowadays memory cards are
very reliable, so you could in principle put a 256GB memory card into
the camera, and only use that for an entire trip. Any thoughts about
this?

I have a 32gig card in one camera and a 64gig in the other and can shoot
for months on a card.

Why? Serious question.

After I download the images from my card to my computer I format the
card.

It seems that what you do is leave the images on the card and continue
to shoot. I don't see any advantage to that.

Am I missing something?

.My PC crashed and self-destructed, and all those pix are not
accessible from the PC.. I still have the images on my SD cards, which I
then backed up onto another PC. The cards are so cheap these days, and
are virtually indestructible. (I also have an external H.D. backup, of
course.)

Mort Linder

Never had a problem with one but I copy the images to several different
computers on a regular basis

If redundancy is the goal, it's not necessary to retain the images on
the card. They can be copied to other devices other ways.