Old October 9th 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D. Peter Maus

Default Adoration of cameras

On 10/8/09 19:05 , Robert Coe wrote:
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 18:26:31 -0500, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote:
: On 10/6/09 17:44 , Rich wrote:
: On Oct 4, 10:09 am, wrote:
: Is it just me or do many people her have some kind of devotion to
: their cameras and lenses; to the point where they are more concerned
: with the tools than the images they make?
:
: It's not you. Too many are pathetically and emotionally tied to their
: equipment. Just look at the reaction when anyone criticizes a brand.
: If they could convert neurosis into picture-taking talent, they'd all
: be publishable.
:
: I was on a pro bono shoot South Bend, this July, for Pediatric Brain
: Tumor Foundation. D300, D700, and an assortment of glass. It was a lot
: of fun. At one point someone stepped up to me and asked what I was
: shooting....before I could answer, he's looked down at the camera at my
: side and said, "Let's see, EOS......."
:
: I looked at him and took a step back, "ExCUSE ME?!!"
:
: By that time, he'd caught the "Nikon" on my neck strap, and jumped
: back looking like he'd just called Mr T a racial epithet.
:
: "Oh, God, man...I'm so sorry. Sorry, man...Sorry." And he backed away.
:
: I laughed about that all the way back to Chicago.
:
: It really is more of a religion than it is about a brand.
:
: And, if taken in the proper perspective, very amusing.

So what do you make of me, a three-time Nikon owner in film days who bought a
Canon when I went digital because my daughter liked her Canon P&S?

Judas

That's exactly my point. Shoot what you want. It's the output
that matters. If you're producing the images you want to produce,
the hardware is irrelevant.