Old October 7th 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D. Peter Maus

Default Adoration of cameras

On 10/6/09 18:47 , Neil Harrington wrote:
"D. Peter wrote in message
On 10/6/09 17:44 , Rich wrote:
On Oct 4, 10:09 am, wrote:
Is it just me or do many people her have some kind of devotion to
their cameras and lenses; to the point where they are more concerned
with the tools than the images they make?

It's not you. Too many are pathetically and emotionally tied to their
equipment. Just look at the reaction when anyone criticizes a brand.
If they could convert neurosis into picture-taking talent, they'd all
be publishable.

I was on a pro bono shoot South Bend, this July, for Pediatric Brain
Tumor Foundation. D300, D700, and an assortment of glass. It was a lot of
fun. At one point someone stepped up to me and asked what I was
shooting....before I could answer, he's looked down at the camera at my
side and said, "Let's see, EOS......."

I looked at him and took a step back, "ExCUSE ME?!!"

By that time, he'd caught the "Nikon" on my neck strap, and jumped back
looking like he'd just called Mr T a racial epithet.

"Oh, God, man...I'm so sorry. Sorry, man...Sorry." And he backed away.

I laughed about that all the way back to Chicago.

It really is more of a religion than it is about a brand.

And, if taken in the proper perspective, very amusing.

guffaw!

That's probably true.

On the other hand, of course, there really are only two kinds of people in
the world: Nikon owners and the ones who wish they were Nikon owners. (And I
am saying that with perfect objectivity, not a shred of personal bias.)

Of course.