Old May 30th 05, 09:49 PM
Alan Browne

DoN. Nichols wrote:

I seem to remember a special three-layer B&W film from perhaps
the late 1960s or early 1970s. I have never used it, but I read the
reviews of it with great interest.

Each layer was a different ISO, and by selective color
filtration in the enlarger, you could select the layer which had what
you wanted.

IIRC, the review showed a shot of a clear glass light bulb, in
operation, and from one layer, you could get the image of the glass
envelope (with the filament vastly over-exposed), while from another,
you could get an image which showed detail of the glowing filament.

But, granted, this is an extreme example, and as far as I know,
the film had a very short life in the market -- just too special
purpose. :-)

I love trivia like that. People tried to achieve new things in smart
ways. Like you say, a little too special for a market that demands fast
access to the film and reasonable turnaround. That film seems to have
required too much post processing to be any fun to use.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.