Old October 22nd 17, 02:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Old Geezerr

Default Camera mounted to a Telescope/Spotting Scope

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 16:24:45 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Saturday, 21 October 2017 00:14:20 UTC-4, Old Geezerr wrote:
On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 17:42:18 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

On Friday, 20 October 2017 16:35:23 UTC-4, Old Geezerr wrote:
Has anyone used their digital camera mounted onto a telescope?

I'm thinking about getting a Celestron reflector scope, primarily
for shooting range spotting but also considering photographic use.

I have read that reflector type camera lenses have a tendency to
produce ghost rings under certain conditions. Any comments?

Dave:

There goes the happy moron.
He doesn't give a damn.
Gee I wish I was a moron.
My God, maybe I am

You need a camera adapter, a T-mount (mounts the camera to the camera adapter. If you are using a Maksutov Cassegrain, you probably won't need an adapter that accepts eyepieces (for more power) as Maks have inherently long focal lengths as it is. Faster refractors can be used at "prime" focus (just using the scope's front lens as the camera lens) but can sometimes benefit from "eyepiece projection" to increase focal lengths. "Digiscoping" or cobbling cameras to terrestrial spotting scopes isn't recommended because intermediary optics used in these scopes results in unacceptably slow photographic speeds (slower than f/11) and focal lengths that can be too long.
Below is a common t-ring (t-threaded ring and camera bayonet mounting) attached to a standard 1-1/4" slide-in (to the telescope focuser) telescope adapter.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/64464511

Thanks for the comment.

The Reflex scope I am looking at has T-Adapter threads on it.
All I need to do is to get the T-Ring for my Canon camera.

Dave:

There goes the happy moron.
He doesn't give a damn.
Gee I wish I was a moron.
My God, maybe I am

Yes, threading the focuser barrel is a recent innovation. Just remember that because of the large aperture, scopes are susceptible to heat waves so things shot at a distance, over heated buildings, roads, can get blurred.

Yep. There's something about watching the "lake" that hovers over
a hot highway.

Dave:

There goes the happy moron.
He doesn't give a damn.