Old August 26th 05, 03:17 AM
MarkČ

"no one" wrote in message
Rox-off wrote:

Smarterstats shows me that a total of 283 visitors looked at the page I
put up showing the photo of the plane crash on the 23rd. Interesting...

I wonder how many people read these groups but don't participate.

Does it show how many repeat visits? I ended up going back to it several
times between other sites while looking up stuff that caught my interest
while reading the group. Say 10 hits with the back button.

Hitting a "back" button doesn't register as a hit, because it doesn't
require accessing the server. Most often, that page is in your computer's
memory, unless you have actively disabled this.

Many services are smart enough to identify your IP, and won't keep counting
you (like when you participate in an on-line poll or vote, for
example...they know you'vebeen there).

I'm sure hitting the back button won't keep registering, but it's quite
possible (likely) that return visits (other than the back button) count.