Old October 28th 14, 10:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.mac.system
Savageduck[_3_]

Default How much EXIF information is tracked by photo sharing sites?

On 2014-10-28 21:48:48 +0000, Davoud said:

A. Beck:
If I snap a picture of a pink flower in the open-air foyer
at the AIDS clinic while I'm supposed to be at work, and the
EXIF information shows almost exactly when & where I was, that's
(by it's very revealing nature) certainly intensely
personal information (it's meta-information but intensely
revealing nonetheless).

How so? By your presence there you have revealed this "intensely
personal information" to your co-workers, your clients, and passers-by
who may have seen you enter the parking lot in the morning. Your bank,
the IRS, the SSA, and various county or parish and state and local
agencies know where you work. Medical insurance companies know where
you work. Your friends, family, and neighbors are likely to know where
you work. People talk, they share information in person and on the
Internet.

But once more--as pointed out in this thread, there are a number of
ways to keep your affair with the flower secret. The best is to not
photograph the flower. Second is to not share the photograph, but, of
course, the camera or camera phone with which you made the photo could
be stolen with EXIF and other revealing information intact. Best not to
photograph the flower or anything else. Get rid of all cameras that can
record EXIF. Keep your photos to yourself.

There is just a tad too much paranoia to this. I usually retain full
EXIF data and for many shots I retain GPS Geo tagged location
information as that gives me another sort criterium, and can provide
some interesting data for those I share images with.
So if you open this image and check the EXIF, you will find a whole
bunch of information in the EXIF metadata including location data for
the 1200+ shots I took that particular day.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Shared%20Images/Automotive/DNC4947-Edit-1.jpg
....and

the location from the Lightroom Map Module.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/screenshot_998.jpg

....and if you want really detailed EXIF data go to
http://regex.info/exif.cgi and enter the image Dropbox URL to see
just how much more info is in that EXIF data.

Just to make that easier for you this should take you right there.
http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fdl.dropboxuserconten t.com%2Fu%2F1295663%2FShared%2520Images%2FAutomoti ve%2FDNC4947-Edit-1.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/out359m

If

there is an image I am truly concerned with, I will strip the metadata
before sharing, but I am not particularly paranoid.

Savageduck