Old September 30th 11, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default an excellent read from the ACLU

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 14:15:21 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: Paul Furman wrote:
:
: I know a guy who shoots TV commercials. The cost is prohibitive for
: copyright permission for most any American city with modern architecture
: visible, so he has to shoot in Canada or often Eastern European cities,
: and even has had to do CGI virtual buildings if the ad needs a real
: fancy piece of modern architecture to work.
:
:
: A surprising number of TV commercials shown in the UK are shot in
: South Africa. The South African authorities bend over backwards to
: make it easy to film there, and the architecture is not so different
: to the UK.

The fact that they drive on the left there (assuming they still do) would make
it easier to maintain the illusion that a commercial was shot in the UK. The
producers of the "Miss Turkey" commercial, which I guess was intended for the
US or Canada, were careful not to show street scenes close up.

Bob