Old July 31st 18, 11:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Default 25 days to Nikon throwing the towel as the defender of the DSLRagainst the onslaught of mirror-less.

On 2018-07-30 15:05, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 30, 2018, Carlos E.R. wrote
(in article ):

On 2018-07-29 22:01, nospam wrote:
In , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

I never understood well why a digital camera needed a mechanical mirror.

the same reason film cameras did, so that the viewfinder has an optical
path through the lens.

while digital viewfinders are much better than they used to be, they
are still not as good as a ttl optical viewfinder, particularly with
sports and low light. there is also no battery drain with an optical
viewfinder and focusing is faster.

And shooting slower. The mirror has to be moved, takes time.

so does flushing the sensor prior to the photo and then tripping the
shutter, usually using a mechanical shutter. electronic shutters may
work in some cases but can have all sorts of problems in others.

pro sports photographers, who can use whatever camera they want, choose
slrs because it's faster than mirrorless.

https://www.adorama.com/alc/wp-conte...utterstock_152
803373-2.jpg
https://fotoblog.hu/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/587168650.jpg

nothing is perfect in every situation.

Sure. I simply know that my camera takes some time to think and then
shoot, even using the eyepiece, and using the "sports" configuration. It
is not that fast. My old chemical camera was faster (an SLR).

What camera are you using that you are able to see that it “takes time to
think”?

Nikon D3200.

Usually to focus.

Sometimes I have lost a photo because it decided the focus was not good
or something. Sometimes it refuses to shoot, sometimes it "thinks" for
so long that the instant of interest has passed.

Of course, I can shoot in full manual mode, but the place where this
happened the first time had varying light conditions. So it would have
to be "manual focus", but the objects were moving at different
distances, I can't manually focus that fast or in advance.

Yes, I know my camera is not a professional model. Still, it is
expensive for my means.

Digital lag time, and EVF blackout in current MILC generations have been
reduced to the point that they are irrelevant. They are less noticable these
days than mirror blackout in SLR/DSLRs.

I'm sure that fast cameras for sports can be designed without mirror, if
the delay is in switching the sensor mode.

Today the issues of digital lag time and EVF blackout in the latest Sony and
Fujifilm MILCs defeat the arguments against their use in action sports
photography.

Makes sense.

--
Cheers, Carlos.