Old November 6th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,alt.photography,rec.photo.darkroom
scenic_man

Default Different Formats for Different Countries -- Variable DensityB&W Film

Nope. That's not the case. It is political. When told that they had to have
a second language, they chose something other than Spanish/Mexican. It's a
Big Deal here, this second language political thing.

It's certainly a big deal in the US (too?).

Given my ancestry, I too would prefer French if we had to have a second
language.
However, noboody's asking me. If things are labeled in exactly two
languages
around here, it's English and Spanish (or English and Portuguese).
But, in my rather narrow experience outside the US,
labeling everything in *six* languages is the rule --
English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, and ???. (I forget now.)

FWIW, the largest part of family is Canuck; they all speak English. No need
for French with commerce. (My greatest grandfather was on Champlain's ship,
stayed in Canada (now Quebec), married a pan-american and here we are
today.)

Yawell. My father came to the US straight from Paris in 1918.
Was France using metric at that point? Bet they were --
they even tried a decimal *week* at one point.
Anyway, in all my life, I never *once* heard him bemoan the use of
non-metric measures.
Also, he had no use for bilingualism.
He spoke French with his sisters, and over the phone with a friend in
France,
but that was it.