Old May 26th 18, 02:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Google Clips - End of the photographer as we know it?

On May 25, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 25 May 2018 18:16:28 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

On 5/25/2018 6:42 AM, occam wrote:
Here is an interesting article which says:

"Google and its AI research team really do think that photography is
about deciding what makes a good picture and think it can be automated.
Over time photography has become increasingly less skillful. First
automatic exposure takes away the skill of setting up the recording
equipment and then automatic focus makes it easy to focus on the
foreground object. AI driven focus even does away with the need to
manually select what should be in focus. All that is left it the moment
to press the shutter or record button."

The full article
(http://www.i-programmer.info/news/19...11821-google-c
lips-the-death-of-the-photographer.html)
is about Google's Clip App which uses AI to automate the 'critical
moment' of photo-taking, which according to the article is currently the
last bastion of photographers.

Nothing new there. It is well established that music can be created by
AI. What is lacking is the human nuance.

I doubt that AI will ever produce a Bach, Beethoven or Monteverdi.

Well, maybe it will, but it will be a long time.

Agreed, and there are so many more than the three greats you cited that AI
will never equal. AI might be able to produce something evocative of the work
of some great composer, or jazz improvisor like Brubeck, Bud Powell, or Art
Pepper, but will never be their equal. However, I am sure that we will have
at least one of the regular participants in this NG who will state that AI is
going to be the future for all things creative be it music, or photography.

Savageduck