Old January 16th 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Camera straps?

On Jan 15, 2019, newshound wrote
(in article6bOdnb5687YL9KPBnZ2dnUU78cfNnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk):

Out playing with my new X-T3 and vertical grip today, mainly with the
50-230 while I save up for a 100-400!

Partly shooting outdoors failing to capture pheasants (quite windy
today, the usually plentiful buzzards were nowhere to be seen), partly
shooting a horse rider in an indoor school.

The conventional neck strap on the eyelets at each end of the top plate
just keeps getting in the way, especially switching from portrait to
landscape (otherwise very easy, with this grip).

The grip comes with a tethering point on the bottom, I see from Amazon
that there are several similar straps worn diagonally across the chest,
with a single point fixing to the bottom of the camera. Does anyone have
any particular advice, suggestions, or recommendations? Or are they all
much the same?

With the weight of the grip and longer lens I think I need something
with DSLR rather than mirrorless ratings. Is the tether point a standard
size? I think I'd like something that is fairly quick to detach.

TIA...Steve

I have gone through almost as many camera straps as I have camera bags. With
my DSLRs I have always favored the BlackRapid (BR) strap which is attached
via the tripod mount. Unfortunately, this is not a great arrangement for
portrait orientation shots as the BR tripod mount then sits in the middle of
your palm, and that is not comfortable. Though they have a larger selection
today than what I bought back in 2007.

With my Fujifilm MILCs I have used several different Peak Design straps with
their quick release system anchors. Their anchor(s) can be easily attached to
the attachment point on the bottom of the X-T3 battery grip.

I have the Peak Design ‘Leash’ on my X-T2 + grip, and it has the
adjustable length to be used in the manner you described. I also have their
‘Slide’ which is, in my opinion, a bit bulky for any of the Fuji APS-C
cameras, and probably better suited to the GXR MF cameras. As a result that
is sitting in reserve, I probably should have bought the ‘Slide Lite’
instead.

I have also bought their Anchor Link + connector to make other straps
workable with their system, to that end on my X-T3 I have a Think Tank
‘Camera Strap V2.0’ + Peak conversion.

BlackRapid:
http://www.blackrapid.com/all/camerastraps

Peak Design: