Old February 7th 18, 09:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Lightroom Classic CC problem

On 2/6/2018 10:48 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"Eric Stevens" wrote

| Adobe Photoshop Lightroom has stopped working.
|
| A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.
| Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
| available.

You might find something out if there's a button
for "Details". I have Visual Studio installed, which
also gives me the option to debug the CPU instructions!
But it's rare that you'll learn anything helpful from
all that. Sometimes if it tells you a DLL that crashed
then that might tell you something.

What you're seeing is just a PR wrapper around
a program crash. The program crashed. Microsoft
is making it look like they've got everything under
control: "Don't worry. We're on it." It used to be that
it just crashed. Now Microsoft design it to make
you think there's an army of people in lab coats
standing by to examine the problem and fix it....
And that's why Win10 *must* be spyware. For
your own good.

So why did the program crash? Maybe it's an Adobe
bug. Maybe it's an incompatible printer driver. Maybe
it's something seemingly unrelated, like a font mixup
or graphics problem. All you can do is to search and
see if someone has figured it out. (And watch out
for false information. There are a lot of people who
stop getting a rash after drinking a Coke and then
jump to the conclusion that Coke cures rashes.)

But you also have to remember that you really
shouldn't be trying to do real work on Windows 10.
You're an unpaid beta tester. The system configuration
can be changed at any time, willy nilly, as Microsoft
decides to zap you with their next test version that
corporate customers don't have to put up with.

That may seem snide, or anti-Win10, or
anti-Microsoft, but it's actually just plain fact.
Win10 is not a stable system. System updates
need to be carefully tested over time for
compatibility. Corporate IT people do that before
rolling out updates to their "fleet". Prior to Win10,
even those tested updates were tested for months
or years *before* the IT people got them. A
Windows version or service pack was
created, tested, released to volunteer beta testers
in version after version.... Only after months or
even years of that was the final version released for
IT people to start their own testing. It no longer
works that way. You're getting largely untested
updates that Microsoft forces down your throat
when the mood hits them.

With Win10, you're running one of the test machines
without getting paid for your trouble.

But it is worth searching. You'll find out a lot more
that way then by looking specifically in Adobe forums
or photo newsgroups, especially given that you don't
know where the problem is coming from.

I use Win 7 on my desktop, for that very reason. I have Win10 on my
laptop, and it seems to be frequently getting updates, some of which
keep forcing me to change settings.

--
PeterN