Old August 2nd 15, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

Default Risked a pot pie

On 8/2/2015 5:16 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 22:12:08 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

This afternoon we stopped for a snak of roasted corn. This guy loves
corn, and risked becoming the key ingredient in a pot pie. He happily
posed, hoping I would drop a few kernals. (I did.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150801_Orient_0567.jpg

I seem to be standing in for Savageduck. :-)

The image gives the impression that it is printed on velvet - or old
carpet - or something. Whatever. Anyway, I don't like the apparent
texture.

Closer examination shows that in places it carries an oversharpening
halo. The background, and no doubt the foreground, has the appearance
of being viewed through vey fine ripple glass.

Examination of the Exif data shows what I suspect may be the main
culprit.

Sharpen Radius +3
Sharpen detail 43
Sharpen edge masking 0

In other words, you have sharpened everything within the body of the
chicken, and it shows.

I think a lesser Sharpen Radius would help and, particularly, so would
some Sharpen Edge Masking.

In making these comments, I fully accept that you may like it the way
it is.

Thank you for commenting. I really appreciate all comments. especially
constructive negative ones.

The combo I used is extremely sharp. The Nikon 105 Micro with the new
APO teleconverter. (I traded in my old 1.7.)
The sharpening was all in ACR. I added a levels layer to emphasis the
bird, while toning down the background by desaturating the green channel
and toning down its luminosity. I slightly blurred the background, with
the blur tool, and used a slight blur vignette to emphasise the eyes and
waddle. Therefore, the sharpness of the head is emphasized more than it
otherwise would be with just a sharpness of 43.

BTW Here is a different shot, taken the same day where I used the sun
coming through the sunflower's petals, with a strobe to highlight the
shadows. I toned down all, or almost all of the specular highlights. I
wound up with the monochrome glow.
as you can see it is not the stereotypical bug on a flower. (I have not
yet decided whether I like it.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150801_Orient_0575.jpg

--
PeterN