Old July 2nd 04, 04:48 AM
Gordon Moat

Default can i digitally colorize black and white photos?

"Stephen H. Westin" wrote:

Gordon Moat writes:

snip

i'm almost sure i can vaguely remember something about them being
digitally colorized as part of their restoration. I mean there are
now color version of those Early 50s Hitchcock movies well before
color cinema was used, and there's the wizard of oz and many other
black and white movies that were colorized.

The Wizard of Oz was shot in 3-strip Technicolor, as I recall, except
for the initial and closing sequences in Kansas, which were shot in
black and white for creative purposes. Anyway, no colorization was
needed. The great hue and cry, I believe, arose when Ted Turner
started to colorize various old MGM features, having bought the film
library when Kirk Kerkorian was gutting the company.

I think Ted Turner was one of the initial users of the colorization
computers, though not the only one. Another nice thing about the Da Vinci
system I mentioned, it that it works well for restoration of colour in
those early films. Unfortunately, it is a 4k system, so the supporting
hardware is very high end, and very expensive.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com