Old April 10th 13, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default Quandary - DX or FX?

On 2013.04.10 03:10 , Nige Danton wrote:
I'm in a bit of a quandary. I've currently got a D7000 and an 18-105 lens.
Ive recently (this year) switched back to SLR's after a decade of using
digital point and shoot. I'm certainly pleased with D7000, but am finding
the 18-105 to be a bit too slow in low light (indoors without flash) and am
thinking of buying a faster lens.

Also I've found some of the (cropped) images to be not quite as sharp as I
would like. This mainly seems to occur in low light shots.

I'm also keen to try some macro photography too, and have been thinking
about a macro lens, perhaps extension tubes or even a bellows.

My quandary is this. I'm not (at all) sure that I'm satisfied with a DX
format and really don't want to buy new lenses and accessories and then
find myself needing to re-buy them if/when I buy an FX body.

So, what do you think. Should I spend more time and practise getting the
best out of my D7000 or switch to an FX body now? Cost is not particular
issue - that said I don't want to be wasteful.

There is nothing like getting more out of what you have in hand. The
more you strive to get more from it the more likely you are to find the
real limits of the DX camera.

If those are real barriers to your goals, then FX is next.

As David Taylor said, look at how the ISO range may benefit you,
stabilization (heck: have you tried a tripod), appropriate aperture and
so on (shoot a couple stops closed for more sharpness - sacrifice thin DOF).

Of course where purchasing is concerned, you can always mount FX lenses
to DX cameras so that if you do go the FX route one day nothing will
have been lost (I did exactly so before Sony finally came out with a FF
body). Of course such lenses are often more expensive.

A friend has stuck to DX and now is in a quandary because the price of a
14mm lens is so high. Had he gone with FX he would have been able to
use his existing 20mm kit.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."