Old February 27th 10, 04:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lawrence Akutagawa

Default Going back to film...

wrote in message ...
After shooting mostly digital for years (and getting burnt out on my
photography) I am shifting gears and going back to shooting 120 film.
While obviously shooting digital is easier and cheaper, I'm just not
getting the results from my landscape photography like I used to. What
made me realize I want to start shooting film again was when I got some
proofs back from an old Ikoflex TLR I was given and had repaired. They had
a smooth tonal, 3D look I haven't seen in years!

It wasn't even a top shelf model (had the 3 element novar lens) but when
I saw the 5X5 proofs, I remember why I loved shooting medium format film.
I'm sure not gonna argue about why these images convinced me to clean up
my darkroom and go back to analog photography (including not scan and
print but optically printing again too) but there is something magical
about the look of an image from this medium to me. To be fair, I was never
happy with the results from 35mm film either..

I also found it interesting the local camera store told me film sales has
picked up and some of the working pro's have gone back to film for some of
their projects. I'm sure this is the point where some of the die hard
digital guys will explain that "You just don't what your doing as digital
is far superiour".. To those people, I could care less if you or some web
site has all sorts of data to "prove it".. I know what I see and am going
back to shooting 120 film :-)
.

Stephanie -

Don't forget that stalwart of the silver based medium, Freestyle Sales.
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/