Old December 28th 18, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron C

Default Does smartphone angle of view depend only on focal length?

On 12/27/2018 6:43 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

A 35mm camera is a camera which uses 35mm movie film. These come is
sveral different frame sizes using one or two movie frames.

obsolete definition.

There are quite a lot of people who would disagree with your
characterization of "obsolete". A "35mm camera" is a camera that uses
35mm film- has been for many, many years, and will continue to be for
many, many years.

film is obsolete, as is your definition.

a '35mm camera', aka an slr, is now digital, and is compatible with
nearly all lenses and accessories in a given system (except for the
ones that started fresh, such as m43).

50 year old nikon lenses work on modern nikon slr bodies. the old
flashes also work, although only in manual or old school auto (no ttl).

those old lenses also work on non-nikon bodies with a suitable adapter,
including canon, m43 and mirrorless.

winders and motor drives are obsolete, since there's nothing to wind
and digital can shoot faster anyway.

A digital camera that looks and feels like a 35mm camera, is a "dSLR",
or a "35mm form factor camera", or a "35mm-style digital camera". A
"35mm camera" is a film camera.

almost all cameras sold are digital, therefore the d is redundant.

i don't think the nikon f6 film slr (note the 'f') is even made anymore
(not that it sold very many when it was).

nikon's digital slrs begin with 'd'. guess what that's for.

in other words, digital is the *default* and film is the *exception*.

that means that 'film' should be a prefix when referring to an old
school camera and its absence means digital.

Deal with it.

that goes for you.

All that is true, but [IMO] not really helpful.
~~
As I see it, the problem is that the [consumer] interchangeable
lens industry focused on the 35mm format rather than a field
angle format. Vast numbers of users of that [35mm] format
equated focal length with wide/normal/(etc.) perspective lenses.
~~
Thing is, that 135mm normal angle lens on my 4x5 camera produces
the same perspective as a 135 telephoto lens on my 35mm camera
when cropped equivalently. Thus, each 36x24mm segment of my
4x5 will be the same as a frame from the 35mm camera.
~~
With so many sensor formats these days, maybe the industry needs
to begin defining lenses by field of view rather than 35mm focal
length equivalents.
--
==
Later...