Old February 22nd 18, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Mayayana

Default Do you see any advantage of Pinta freeware over Paint.NET screenshot-editing?

"ultred ragnusen" wrote

| Good Guy wrote:
|
| Besides, it'e a relevant question and observation, with appropriate links
| and well-annotated example screenshots.

Just filter out "Good Guy". There's no reason
anyone should have to see his posts. By answering
him you share his mean-spirited, irrelevant posts
with those of us who wouldn't normally see them at
all.

I realize you don't personally care about .Net, but
since you're cross-posting to photo and freeware
groups, it's worth noting that Paint.Net always
requires the very latest .Net framework, which can be
an enormous hog of space if you don't have anything
else that needs it. (There's very little popular software
that does use .Net.)

I downloaded Pinta out of curiosity. The installer tried
to go online to download .Net4, without asking me.
Then it popped up a message that there were "errors"
and it had to quit. No explanation! Only the install log
told me it was trying to install .Net4, and only my
firewall told me it was trying to go online. So add faulty
installer to your negative assessment.

I've never tried Paint.Net because of the .Net
requirement, but also because for anyone who wants
a full-fledged graphic editor there are plenty of other
options. Paint Shop Pro 5 is online for free. The latest
version of PSP was about $50 last I checked. There's
GIMP if you absolutely won't spend money for software.

Though
the category of "screenshot software" seems to be
unique. I've never had a desire to draw a curved
arrow on anything, but I can see how that would be
helpful if you were doing something like posting images
on a website regularly.