Old August 29th 14, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

Default Playing with near IR

On 8/29/2014 8:35 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 29 August 2014 01:56:49 UTC+1, PeterN wrote:
On 8/28/2014 8:45 AM, Whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 28 August 2014 04:18:32 UTC+1, PeterN wrote:

A sunny day can give high contrast images, so I decided to try some IR.

I am very much in the learning process, but I present these conversions

for comment:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/belvedere1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/rowing%20in%20the%20park.jpg

Have you tried any filters such as yellow/orange/red which will reduce the visible light by a particular amount allowing exposue to 'centre' mor eon IR than visible ?

No. Use of filters is ok for some effects, but right now I am happy with
the conversion, and its effects. I may try that later.

The vague point I was making is that for IR photography in the true sense you should be using IR (as much as possible) to 'make' the images rather than use 'electronic effects to make the image"
It's where I start to draw the line between photogrphy and being an artist of graphics designer. Ypou can create sopem pretty stunning effects usering poser or byrce3D or even lightwave with texture bump maps.

When I first did IR I was all for using the filters so the majority of teh light was IR rather than visable. I thought I used a wratterm 88a filter but on searching....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kodak-Wrat...-/310091053489
was quite shocked as I wouldn't have paid more than a fiver for any filter other than a polersizing one at the time.

Note this is not true IR. It is near IR. Also filters such as the R72
would reaure long exposures and sue of a tripod.

--
PeterN