Old March 23rd 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Canon 30D versus the Nikon D200

wrote:

So we get the highly detailed 'explanation' when Canon has a better
picture, but then you say, "the D200 wins" and that's it?? In what way
did the D200 "win"?

Come on Rich, can't you just let it go man!! I am amazed you even
touched a Canon (If you truly did) so that is progress. However,
please stop the insistent whining about how great Nikon is and how
Canon sucks when we all know you're just the poster boy for Nikon and
you can't really make any other argument.

I mean a couple of days ago you start a thread about spending $300 more
to get the D200 vs. the D30. Now it's the D200 wins? Talk about an
unbiased opinion....NOT!

The Sensor used in the Nikon is a CCD which has good and bad points. I
think these are better suited to less than harsh lighting but having
said that, the Canon 20D/30D is not a well made camera when compared to
the Nikon. I would have a D200 in a heartbeat over a 30D if I knew
absolutely I'd never take an outdoor picture in bright sunlight or a not
need ISO 3200 every once in a while.

It's the same sort of thing when looking at Evolt Olympus cameras.
Absolutely superb optics, magic handling and less than great image
processing. I'm afraid when the quality of your image is critical and
you absolutely cannot afford lost highlights or missing shadow detail,
Canon is presently the only choice. Sad as it is for me, the new 1Ds I
just ordered is not going to be a substitute for the car I sold to pay
for it.